Rajgad, literally meaning King of forts, is one of the most impressive forts of Maharashtra state in India. Situated in the Pune district, the fort is approximately 4250 feet above sea level.
Formerly known as Murumdev, it was capital of the Maratha Kingdom (Hindavi Swarajya) ruled by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj for almost 26 years, after which he moved to Raigad and made that his capital.
Treasure found on adjacent Torna Fort was used to fortify this hill.
How to reach Rajgad
By Air: The nearest airports are Pune and Mumbai.
By Rail: Pune is the nearest railway station.
By Road: There are state government ( ST ) buses running from Pune to base villages of Rajgad.
Distance from Pune: 42 KMs
Distance from Mumbai: 212 KMs
Distance from Satara: 104 KMs
Distance from Nashik: 274 KMs
Attractions at the fort
- Padmavati Machee (north end)
- Sanjeevani Machee (southwest/west end)
- Suvela Machee (south east)
- Bale Killa (centre)
- This fort is a significant site for trekkers and adventurous tourists to visit.
- Accommodation for 50 people is available in Padmavati Mandir.
- Water tanks provide water all over the year.
- Fort is of 1350 Mtrs. high.
- Regular buses from Swargate Pune to Gungavane (Velha bus).